I highly recommend Mary Anne as a great writing coach and editor. She is a rare and expert kind of multilevel editor who can help you with everything from basic line editing and word usage to organizing ideas and identifying logical and illogical arguments even in technical areas. She is easy and fun to work with, thorough and efficient, and also reasonably priced and fair. — Mary Ann Foster, Therapeutic Kinesiology, Somatic Patterning
Every writer is different, so how I work with you depends completely on your needs—sometimes in concert with your publisher’s needs and expectations.
You may want me to help you define a project or understand organization and development possibilities long before you ever put fingers to keyboard. I work with some clients over extended periods as they develop their projects from ideas alone to published works.
Others come to me with finished drafts of small projects and large (from website copy to academic papers and book manuscripts) that they want to have reviewed by a professional.
I believe writers are people who write. Whatever your skill level, I will treat you and your writing with the respect and care every writer deserves.
- Everything from long-term support as an ally and mentor to quick and efficient
- An outstanding ability to elicit ideas and help you produce your best work.
- Years of experience that allow me to help at any stage of the writing process,
from the first kernel of an idea to final editing.
- The ability to work with writers at various skill levels as well as non-native
- Extensive experience and know-how in academic and other specialized writing areas. (See the Publishers and Academic and Specialized pages for details.)
- A professional but easygoing relationship.
- Experience as a professional editor for publishers.
You can decide the kind and amount of consultation and editing that best fit your own writing needs. I find that discussing your particular writing project or goals and the challenges you’re facing helps define the process we’ll use.
A writer is someone for whom writing is more difficult than it is for others.
— Thomas Mann
I can help you
- Get started, overcome writer’s block, and define your purpose.
- Focus your topic or story direction.
- Organize your project and make real progress with realistic schedules and goals.
- Learn writing and editing techniques that you can carry into future projects.
- Gain confidence in your writing by capitalizing on your strengths and
enhancing your skills.
- Produce excellent writing that is expertly edited.
If we have to say what writing is, we would have to define it essentially as an act of courage.
— Cynthia Ozick